rostered leaders convocation
2023 SOUTH CAROLINA ROSTERED LEADERS CONVOCATION
Monday-Wednesday, October 23-25, 2023 at Lutheridge
(beginning 2:00 p.m. on Monday and ending late morning on Wednesday)
Featured leader: Dr. Amy-Jill Levine
Registration will begin in July.
About Doctor Levine
Dr. Amy-Jill Levine is the Rabbi Stanley M. Kessler Distinguished Professor of New Testament and Jewish Studies, Hartford International University for Religion and Peace.
She is University Professor of New Testament and Jewish Studies Emerita, Mary Jane Werthan Professor of Jewish Studies Emerita, and Professor of New Testament Studies Emerita, Vanderbilt University.
Professor Levine has given close to 1000 lectures on the Bible, Christian-Jewish relations, and Religion, Gender, and Sexuality across the globe. In addition to receiving three audiences with Pope Francis, in 2019 she was the first Jew to teach New Testament at Rome’s Pontifical Biblical Institute.
Her many books include The Misunderstood Jew: The Church and the Scandal of the Jewish Jesus; Short Stories by Jesus: The Enigmatic Parables of a Controversial Rabbi; The Meaning of the Bible: What the Jewish Scriptures and the Christian Old Testament Can Teach Us (with Douglas Knight); The Pharisees (co-edited with Joseph Sievers), to which Pope Francis contributed an essay; and six “beginner’s guides” to the Gospels. She co-edited The Jewish Annotated New Testament, is the editor of the 13-volume Feminist Companions to the New Testament and Early Christian Writings, and has also co-authored several children’s books on biblical stories with Rabbi Sandy Eisenberg Sasso.
Dr. Levine will lead three sessions, one each day of the event:
- Understanding Jesus and Paul means Understanding Judaism or, How Not to Introduce or Reinforce Jew-hatred in your Teaching
- How Jews and Christians Read the Same Texts Differently or, How to Make the Old Testament New Again
- Wrestling with the Hard Parables: Dishonest Steward, Wicked Tenants, and Tortured Enslaved
A number of Dr. Levine’s books will be available for purchase at the event.
A message to leaders from Bishop Ginny Aebischer:
Convocation is one of the only times in the calendar year when our rostered leaders have the opportunity to gather with one another for worship, fellowship, and learning. Your presence at convocation is a blessing to others, and you are truly missed when you are not there. Please make it a priority to participate in the mutual upbuilding of our South Carolina Synod ministerium so that, together, we can all be renewed by the Holy Spirit for the ministries to which we are called. If you can’t be present for the entire event, come for part of it. If you are having a challenge affording the cost of registration, let us know and we will do everything possible to assist you!
This year we will again be doing our own registration. This means that you DO NOT use the Novusway-Lutheridge online registration system.
To register please use the Google form found at this link: http://www.SJBft.org/ConvoRegistration2023
A paper registration form is available below, but we prefer that you use this online link if at all possible!
There are three options for registration this year, depending on your housing needs:
- Double Room Registration: includes programming, lodging, and meals (Mon dinner thru Weds bfast). You must have a roommate, but we can help match you up if needed.
- Single Room Registration: gives you a single room (may still share a bathroom) and includes programming, lodging, and meals (Mon dinner thru Weds bfast). Due to a limited number of single rooms and financial realities, unfortunately Lutheridge must this year return to a system of charging more for single rooms.
- Commuter Registration: includes meals and programming, no lodging.
There are two ways to pay after registering:
- By Mail: mail a check to SC Synod, 1003 Richland Street, Columbia, SC 29201. Please write “Convocation payment for Deacon/Pastor Name” on the check so that Synod staff doesn’t have to guess or comb through the directory.
- Credit Card at the “Pay Online” link below. Please consider choosing the optional “cover fees” box if possible so the synod doesn’t lose a percentage of your payment. Please note that the Synod staff sees the name which is connected to your Tithely account/form of payment. If the account and/or credit card you are using is attached to another person’s name, it might helpful for you to email firstname.lastname@example.org to reduce her detective work.
Discount: early registration discount ends on September 22. Online payments made after September 22 or mailed payments postmarked after September 22 are subject to the higher registration fee.
Deadline: registration AND payment deadline is October 6. This is a soft deadline, but please understand it will be difficult for us to process registration in time for the event if you try to register in the last two weeks. Please register and submit payment as soon as possible.
Scholarships: while we do not have a formal scholarship process, it is Bishop Aebischer’s policy that no one should be unable to attend Convo because of finances. If that is the case for you, please mark the scholarship help needed question to be contacted for discussion.
Single Room RegistrationThru September 22, 2022. Price rises to $275 on September 23, 2022.
Double Room RegistrationThru September 22, 2023. Price rises to $235 on September 23, 2022.
Commuter RegistrationThru September 22, 2023. Price rises to $195 on September 23, 2022.
Please be good stewards and register as soon as possible before the price increase.
The early registration discount ends on August 27. Online payments made after August 27 or mailed payments postmarked August 28 or after are subject to the higher registration fee. Your registration is NOT complete until payment is received. If you are having a challenge affording the cost of registration, let us know and we will do everything possible to assist you. Please contact Pastor Shannon or Pastor Christi at the emails below.
Download the Microsoft Word Registration Form.
Schedule – TBA
Get In Touch
This is Christ’s Church. There is a place for you here.
We are the church that shares a living, daring confidence in God’s grace. Liberated by our faith, we embrace you as a whole person–questions, complexities and all. Join us as we do God’s work in Christ’s name for the life of the world.
ELCA South Carolina Synod
1003 Richland Street
Columbia, SC 29201