Important reminder about background checks:
Congregations are called to be safe places for all members, and every ELCA congregation is responsible to have established guidelines and policies protecting all members. When hiring church workers, please remember the importance of background checks. All South Carolina congregations should have official guidelines in place (the deadline was the 2005 synod assembly) to safeguard members against abuse. Here’s a link to some helpful information for you.
The Call Process is a prayerful way in which the South Carolina Synod engages congregations, church-related organizations and rostered leaders. Learn more>>
Explore and apply for opportunities available with the churchwide organization or global service on the ELCA Job Board (summer internships are also available).
Part-Time Office Administrator – Incarnation, Columbia
Incarnation is seeking an Office Assistant. The position is 20 hours per week. Primary responsibilities are the day to day coordination and implementation of administrative and business-related functions of the church, as well as to maintain a warm and welcoming atmosphere. .
Please send resume to Eugenie Parker at email@example.com, Personnel Team Incarnation Lutheran.
Incarnation Lutheran Church
3005 Devine Street
Columbia, South Carolina. 29205
• Position Description: Office Assistant (currently 20 hours a week)
o Reports to Senior Pastor and Church Council
• Primary Functions:
The Office Assistant position consists of two primary tasks: responsibility and accountability for the day to day coordination and implementation of administrative and business- related functions of the church; and maintenance of a warm, welcoming, orderly atmosphere for parishioners and others who call or visit the church.
• Major Responsibilities and Regular Activities
1. Assume responsibility for the smooth, efficient operations and overall management of the parish office. These duties include: coordination, directing and executing of all non-ministerial, non-finance parish operations; responding to telephone and in person inquiries/visits with courtesy and tact; completing all annual, monthly and weekly tasks in an efficient and timely manner.; working closely with all church staff, volunteers, church council, treasurer; and providing support services for all church operations. Specific duties include, but are not limited to:
a) Update church database/directory entries as needed. Conduct searches and prepare reports as needed for mailing labels, committee lists, birthday lists, etc.
b) Order office supplies as needed; monitor office supplies and budget.
c) Monitor maintenance of office equipment, schedule servicing and ordering parts as needed.
d) Escort service/repair/delivery people to appropriate locations in the building, explain concerns, answer questions, etc.
e) Provide administrative support to the congregation by handling incoming calls, visitors, maintaining church calendar, managing written and electronic correspondence.
f) Serves as the managing editor for all worship bulletins, monthly newsletter, website, annual reports and all other publications of the congregation.
g) Support staff and staff members as able.
2. Participate in weekly staff meetings and in regular planning and supervisory meetings with the Pastor.
• Desired Education/Other requirements:
The office assistant shall hold the following qualifications:
• High School Diploma
• He/she must possess strong communication skills both verbal and written, strong organizational skills, proficiency in office procedures and methods to ensure work flow, knowledge of office computers and software, ICON CMO. Microsoft Office Suite required; desktop publishing, Facebook, social media and web page skills a must.
• Ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously
We are over half way to our goal! Join the effort to launch Latino ministry to new levels in South Carolina. Make your gift today.
And, help us reach the $50,000 challenge if at least half of our congregations participate. Click here for more information about how congregations can share this story with your members.
This is Christ’s Church. There is a place for you here.
We are the church that shares a living, daring confidence in God’s grace. Liberated by our faith, we embrace you as a whole person–questions, complexities and all. Join us as we do God’s work in Christ’s name for the life of the world.
ELCA South Carolina Synod
1003 Richland Street
Columbia, SC 29201