To post an opening on this page, please e-mail a short paragraph to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please notify us when the position is filled. Positions posts will be removed after one month.
Important reminder about background checks:
Congregations are called to be safe places for all members, and every ELCA congregation is responsible to have established guidelines and policies protecting all members. When hiring church workers, please remember the importance of background checks. All South Carolina congregations should have official guidelines in place (the deadline was the 2005 synod assembly) to safeguard members against abuse. Here’s a link to some helpful information for you.
The Call Process is a prayerful way in which the South Carolina Synod engages congregations, church-related organizations and rostered leaders. Learn more>>
Explore and apply for opportunities available with the churchwide organization or global service on the ELCA Job Board (summer internships are also available).
Immediate Job Openings at St David Lutheran Church, West Columbia SC
YOUTH DIRECTOR: This non-rostered position involves helping youth develop through church, community and deeper relationships with Jesus; plans, organizes and facilitates logistics for and leads the youth in special activities. Requires communication, organizational, event planning, team-building and leadership skills with middle and high school kids and their parents, and a lot of enthusiasm. Part Time; additional hours if can assist teaching Confirmation (10-15 hours per week). Intended for Fall 2018-Spring 2019 but could lead to Full Time position.
CHURCH ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT: This non-rostered position requires at least 3 years experience handling general office secretarial duties such as answering the telephone, typing and computer skills (45 wpm; Microsoft Word and Publisher, and Shepherd’s Staff), filing; scheduling church facilities and buses; assists with bulletins for worship services, weddings, funerals and monthly newsletter assembly, distribution and mailing; will be cross-trained to fill-in for leave of absence of Church Office Manager. Part Time up to 20 hours per week; schedule complements Church Office Manager.
WHAT WE NEED: At the minimum St. David will request the following – an Employee Application / work and education resume submitted by August 24th, a SLED / DSS or other background check, a SCDMV Driver Record History and an interview.
CONTACT: To obtain a more detailed job description and application or questions, contact – Bernie Lee, email@example.com, (803) 348-0631 cell.
Part–time (28 Hours) Lay or Ordained Campus Pastor – Winthrop University, Rock Hill, SC
WELCM: Winthrop Episcopal Lutheran Campus Ministry Winthrop University, Rock Hill, SC
Position Description for Lay or Ordained Campus Minister: WELCM Board of Directors seeks a staff member to provide guidance and supervision for a comprehensive ministry to college students at Winthrop University.
- Bachelor’s Degree or higher
- Experience in student engagement, planning and managing ministry programs
- Certification in SAFE church practices or acceptable equivalent training
- Ability to work within a Lutheran or Episcopalian theological context, and in an environment that welcomes and celebrates diversity of gender, sexuality, race, class and political background
- Demonstrate knowledge of and commitment to service, social justice, and community organizing
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively
- Organizational skills
- Tuesday night availability
- Plan and lead regular WELCM Bible study and weekly meeting
- Initiate contact and maintain communication with Lutheran and Episcopal students and others who are served by this ministry
- Maintain an active presence on campus to include WCCM and other campus involvement.
- Direct students to pastoral care as needed
- Work with the WELCM Board of Directors to facilitate communication between WELCM and the sponsoring congregations
- 28 hours per week
Community Portfolio Information
Church Name: WELCM: Winthrop Episcopal Lutheran Campus Ministry, Winthrop University, Rock Hill, SC Contact Information: Name The Board members of WE LCM
WELCM is not accepting resumes by snail mail. This email will serve as our primary communication to receive resumes and cover letters from applicants.
CURRENT Annual Compensation (includes all the following): Cash Stipend: $ 18,000
Compensation available for NEW Position: $27,000 (includes Stipend) Negotiable: YES
Pension Plan: Church Pension Fund YES
Continuing Education: Funding $1,900 ($1000 training and $900 travel)
Comments (20 words) $27,000 (negotiable) plus pension. The position is 28 hours over 11 months. Previous incumbents in this position:
- April Hershey; July 2012 to June 2018
- Rebecca Lord-Philips; August 2016 to April 2018
- David Ludwick; August 2012 to January 2015
- Mary-Cat Young; 2006 to 2011
Director for Congregational Engagement Position – Pacific Lutheran University
The New Director for Congregational Engagement Position is now open at Pacific Lutheran University!
The listing, list of additional documents and application link are on the PLU website here https://employment.plu.edu/postings/5053
Closing date is “when a sufficient number of qualified applicants have been identified”
- 5 years of service as an ELCA rostered minister (pastor or deacon) and a deep and proven experience with and commitment to Lutheran congregations and other faith communities and PLU.
- Master’s degree.
- Finalist applicants must satisfactorily complete pre-employment background check.
- Leadership experience in a higher education setting
- Experience in facilitation, event planning and creative and effective uses of technology for communication and program delivery.
- Knowledge of congregations in Region 1 of the ELCA and other faith communities in the Tacoma/Seattle region that support PLU’s mission.
Part–time Youth Minister – Incarnation Lutheran Church, Columbia
The Youth Minister’s primary tasks include helping all children, youth and young adults deepen their relationships with Jesus, the church, and each other by supporting our existing programs and relationships while developing new ones to help us grow and learn. Current responsibilities include:
- Coordinate programming for elementary age, middle and high school youth utilizing existing programs and developing new ones in coordination with staff, parents, adult leaders, and youth to provide regular opportunities for learning, service and fun.
- Facilitate faith formation among the preschool and school age children of our two Child Development Centers, Devine Street and Byron Road. Plan and conduct three chapel services each week, visit classrooms, build relationships with children, teachers and parents under the guidance of the Pastor and CDC Directors.
- Supervise and provide support to the Sunday school coordinator with faith formation resources and materials.
- Coordinate with Pastor in the planning and administrative duties regarding participation in Faith Alive and Campfirmation activities.
- Educate and encourage participation in local synodical initiatives/events such as GraceWorks, Club 345, LCY, ELCA youth gathering, and various retreats. Encourage participation in faith formation opportunities offered at Lutheridge and Lutherock.
- Participate in weekly staff meetings and in regular planning and supervisory meetings with the Pastor.
- Communicate and network with other Lutheran youth ministry programs for opportunities and support.
- Participate in Sunday worship by greeting youth and parents, assist with worship as agreed to with Pastor, and deepen relationships during post worship activities.
- Support and equip youth for participation in other ministry opportunities in the church.
Desired Education/Other Requirements
Bachelor’s Degree and ability to communicate biblical materials and church doctrine consistent with the faith and practices of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA), genuine enjoyment of children and families with a dedication to their faith formation, history working and teaching in children’s ministries, possess interpersonal skills to work with diverse groups within the church (staff, congregation), strong leadership, organizational and listening skills, proficiency in MS Office as well as various social media, successfully complete national background check, and a valid driver’s license with driving history.
Part-time position: Average 10-15 hours weekly. Annual salary 12K.
Interested candidates are invited to send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
Part–time Church Secretary – St. James, Leesville
St. James, Leesville, is accepting resumes for a part-time church secretary. The duties require computer skills to produce the bulletin and newsletter. The position averages 10 hours a week – which can be 2 or 3 days each week. If you have specific questions, please speak to Pastor Gina 803.951.3784. Resumes should be mailed to St. James Lutheran 308 Church Street, Leesville, SC 29070 Attn: Delynn Barnes, Evaluation Committee.
Join the conversation:
Lutheran Campus Ministry’s presence at the ELCA Youth Gathering in Houston in June may have looked like a project where lumber and nails made walls for houses, but it was so much more!read more
And you may have heard that LSC had been caring for five separated children since early May. “Separated children” is the term that has come to identify the children who were forcibly separated from their parents as the result of new restrictions placed on families seeking asylum at the U.S.–Mexico border in April.read more