To post an opening on this page, please e-mail a short paragraph to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please notify us when the position is filled. Positions posts will be removed after one month.
Important reminder about background checks:
Congregations are called to be safe places for all members, and every ELCA congregation is responsible to have established guidelines and policies protecting all members. When hiring church workers, please remember the importance of background checks. All South Carolina congregations should have official guidelines in place (the deadline was the 2005 synod assembly) to safeguard members against abuse. Here’s a link to some helpful information for you.
Part–time (28 Hours) Lay or Ordained Campus Pastor – Winthrop University, Rock Hill, SC
WELCM: Winthrop Episcopal Lutheran Campus Ministry Winthrop University, Rock Hill, SC
Position Description for Lay or Ordained Campus Minister: WELCM Board of Directors seeks a staff member to provide guidance and supervision for a comprehensive ministry to college students at Winthrop University.
- Bachelor’s Degree or higher
- Experience in student engagement, planning and managing ministry programs
- Certification in SAFE church practices or acceptable equivalent training
- Ability to work within a Lutheran or Episcopalian theological context, and in an environment that welcomes and celebrates diversity of gender, sexuality, race, class and political background
- Demonstrate knowledge of and commitment to service, social justice, and community organizing
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively
- Organizational skills
- Tuesday night availability
- Plan and lead regular WELCM Bible study and weekly meeting
- Initiate contact and maintain communication with Lutheran and Episcopal students and others who are served by this ministry
- Maintain an active presence on campus to include WCCM and other campus involvement.
- Direct students to pastoral care as needed
- Work with the WELCM Board of Directors to facilitate communication between WELCM and the sponsoring congregations
- 28 hours per week
Community Portfolio Information
Church Name: WELCM: Winthrop Episcopal Lutheran Campus Ministry, Winthrop University, Rock Hill, SC Contact Information: Name The Board members of WE LCM
WELCM is not accepting resumes by snail mail. This email will serve as our primary communication to receive resumes and cover letters from applicants.
CURRENT Annual Compensation (includes all the following): Cash Stipend: $ 18,000
Compensation available for NEW Position: $27,000 (includes Stipend) Negotiable: YES
Pension Plan: Church Pension Fund YES
Continuing Education: Funding $1,900 ($1000 training and $900 travel)
Comments (20 words) $27,000 (negotiable) plus pension. The position is 28 hours over 11 months. Previous incumbents in this position:
- April Hershey; July 2012 to June 2018
- Rebecca Lord-Philips; August 2016 to April 2018
- David Ludwick; August 2012 to January 2015
- Mary-Cat Young; 2006 to 2011
Part–time Faith Formation Ministry Coordinator – St. Michael, Greenville
The Faith Formation Ministry Coordinator provides faith based programming and leadership support to St. Michael Lutheran Church’s ongoing programs of faith formation to include ages birth through 12th grade and Young Adults and Families. This position reports directly to the Senior Pastor and the Mutual Ministries Committee. The position is part time, working an average of 20 hours per week.
ACCOUNTABILITIES % OF TIME
Development and implementation of faith formation programming for youth from birth through 12th grade. This includes weekly meeting attendance with LCY, bi-weekly/weekly meetings with Young Youth, weekly meetings with CRAWL. 40%Facilitation and support of faith formation programming for young adults and families including Thirsty Thursday’s and Young Adults Living Life 20%
Development of meaningful faith based relationships with those in receipt of faith formation programs 10%
Attendance at weekly worship service. 5%
Monthly meetings with volunteer leaders of each group 5%
Monthly meetings with Pastor and Council Liaison for youth ministries 5%
Develops and facilitates weekly programming for the calendar year to include regular meetings and special activities 10%
Assists with Vacation Bible School 5%
- Strong foundation in the Christian faith
- Excellent communication skills
- Excellent relationship building skills
- Excellent organizational skills
- Basic computer skills/social media skills
- Two written references
- Back ground check required
- Valid SC Drivers’ License
- Participation in a Lutheran church or seminary
- Previous youth and/or adult ministry work
- Bachelor’s degree
- Range: $15,600 – $20,800
- Position works an average of 20 hours per week.
- Eligible for merit increase at 6 months, depending on performance
- Annual performance appraisal, based on accountability performance with eligibility for merit increase
All applicants, apply to Saint Michael Lutheran Church c/o David Cooke at email@example.com.
Part–time Parish Administrator – Mt. Hermon, West Columbia
Send resumes to Interim Pastor, Mary W. Anderson by June 30th to
The Parish Administrator at Mt. Hermon is critical to our ministry and mission. We are looking for a new partner in our ministry to join our team and help us move forward with our vision for ministry in West Columbia and beyond.
Supervised and supported by the Pastor, this person staffs our office by maintaining the posted office hours, providing hospitality to members and visitors, by drafting and publishing our regular communications, by keeping our website up-to-date, by organizing records and files, and by providing support to the staff, council, and the administrative ministries of the congregation.
A high school degree is required. Qualifications include the abilities to relate to a wide variety of people, exercise good judgment, possess good communication skills, maintain a professional appearance, maintain discretion and confidentiality. The Parish Administrator must have good knowledge of computer systems such as Word, Publisher, Excel, database systems such as Power Church, and website management.
We look forward to hearing from you!
Full-time Secretary/Treasurer – Union, Leesville
Union Lutheran Church, 4077 Hwy. 378, in Leesville, SC, is now accepting applications for full time church secretary/treasurer position. Please include letter of interest along with resume. Contact church office at 803-532-3305 for a detailed job description. It is imperative that candidates are familiar with Microsoft Word and Excel, and Quick Books.
Deadline for turning in letters of interest and resume was July 8th, 2018.
Director for Congregational Engagement Position – Pacific Lutheran University
The New Director for Congregational Engagement Position is now open at Pacific Lutheran University!
The listing, list of additional documents and application link are on the PLU website here https://employment.plu.edu/postings/5053
Closing date is “when a sufficient number of qualified applicants have been identified”
- 5 years of service as an ELCA rostered minister (pastor or deacon) and a deep and proven experience with and commitment to Lutheran congregations and other faith communities and PLU.
- Master’s degree.
- Finalist applicants must satisfactorily complete pre-employment background check.
- Leadership experience in a higher education setting
- Experience in facilitation, event planning and creative and effective uses of technology for communication and program delivery.
- Knowledge of congregations in Region 1 of the ELCA and other faith communities in the Tacoma/Seattle region that support PLU’s mission.
Part–time Youth Minister – Incarnation Lutheran Church, Columbia
The Youth Minister’s primary tasks include helping all children, youth and young adults deepen their relationships with Jesus, the church, and each other by supporting our existing programs and relationships while developing new ones to help us grow and learn. Current responsibilities include:
- Coordinate programming for elementary age, middle and high school youth utilizing existing programs and developing new ones in coordination with staff, parents, adult leaders, and youth to provide regular opportunities for learning, service and fun.
- Facilitate faith formation among the preschool and school age children of our two Child Development Centers, Devine Street and Byron Road. Plan and conduct three chapel services each week, visit classrooms, build relationships with children, teachers and parents under the guidance of the Pastor and CDC Directors.
- Supervise and provide support to the Sunday school coordinator with faith formation resources and materials.
- Coordinate with Pastor in the planning and administrative duties regarding participation in Faith Alive and Campfirmation activities.
- Educate and encourage participation in local synodical initiatives/events such as GraceWorks, Club 345, LCY, ELCA youth gathering, and various retreats. Encourage participation in faith formation opportunities offered at Lutheridge and Lutherock.
- Participate in weekly staff meetings and in regular planning and supervisory meetings with the Pastor.
- Communicate and network with other Lutheran youth ministry programs for opportunities and support.
- Participate in Sunday worship by greeting youth and parents, assist with worship as agreed to with Pastor, and deepen relationships during post worship activities.
- Support and equip youth for participation in other ministry opportunities in the church.
Desired Education/Other Requirements
Bachelor’s Degree and ability to communicate biblical materials and church doctrine consistent with the faith and practices of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA), genuine enjoyment of children and families with a dedication to their faith formation, history working and teaching in children’s ministries, possess interpersonal skills to work with diverse groups within the church (staff, congregation), strong leadership, organizational and listening skills, proficiency in MS Office as well as various social media, successfully complete national background check, and a valid driver’s license with driving history.
Part-time position: Average 10-15 hours weekly. Annual salary 12K.
Interested candidates are invited to send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
Part–time Church Secretary – St. James, Leesville
St. James, Leesville, is accepting resumes for a part-time church secretary. The duties require computer skills to produce the bulletin and newsletter. The position averages 10 hours a week – which can be 2 or 3 days each week. If you have specific questions, please speak to Pastor Gina 803.951.3784. Resumes should be mailed to St. James Lutheran 308 Church Street, Leesville, SC 29070 Attn: Delynn Barnes, Evaluation Committee.
The Call Process is a prayerful way in which the South Carolina Synod engages congregations, church-related organizations and rostered leaders. Learn more>>
Explore and apply for opportunities available with the churchwide organization or global service on the ELCA Job Board (summer internships are also available).