Important reminder about background checks:
Congregations are called to be safe places for all members, and every ELCA congregation is responsible to have established guidelines and policies protecting all members. When hiring church workers, please remember the importance of background checks. All South Carolina congregations should have official guidelines in place (the deadline was the 2005 synod assembly) to safeguard members against abuse. Here’s a link to some helpful information for you.
The Call Process is a prayerful way in which the South Carolina Synod engages congregations, church-related organizations and rostered leaders. Learn more>>
Explore and apply for opportunities available with the churchwide organization or global service on the ELCA Job Board (summer internships are also available).
ELCA SOUTH CAROLINA SYNOD – PART-TIME ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT
The South Carolina Synod of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA) is seeking an administrative assistant to work part time in our Columbia office. This will provide an opportunity to support congregations and clerical staff throughout the state while interfacing with individuals of many cultural backgrounds.
- 3-5 years minimum administrative experience
- Proficiency in Microsoft, Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and sensitivity at all times
- Strong organizational skills and ability to prioritize
- Excellent communication skills
If interested, please send resume and cover letter to:
Jenny Spearen – firstname.lastname@example.org
Cedar Grove, Leesville – Part-Time director of music ministry
The Director of Music Ministry at Cedar Grove is a baptized child of God, that possesses a strong commitment to Jesus Christ and to God’s Word. Must have passion and talents to provide worshipful musical experiences throughout the Sundays and Seasons of the Church. Must be a team player. Must possess a heart to educate and provide for advancing music skills of our children and adults.
The Director of Music Ministry may arrange their own schedule as needed during the week, to ensure that all duties are performed in a professional and faithful manner. Must be physically present on all Sundays, excluding vacation and emergency sick leave days.
Proposed by the Church Council and voted on at the Annual Business Meeting by the congregation in November. Payroll is monthly, on the first day of every month.
Vacation/Emergency Sick Leave:
There is no extended paid leave benefit for our part-time staff for any reason. However, the church will be sensitive to needs for time off.
Four Sundays/weeks’ vacation leave will be allotted annually, with regular pay. Vacation leave cannot be rolled over from one year to another. No approval is necessary for this leave. However, vacation leave must be planned so that the church music/worship operates unaffected.
The church office must be notified in advance of any absence.
Vacation weeks may not be used (but emergency sick leave personal/immediate family may be used) for major festival Sundays of Pentecost, Reformation, Christmas Eve, and Holy Week.
The Director of Music Ministry will present a written notice to the Pastor and the Church Council a minimum of thirty (30) days prior to termination of employment.
In the event of an involuntary termination, the Church Council will determinate the length and compensation of the notice based on the circumstances of the termination.
The Personnel Committee of the Church Council will meet with the Director of Music Ministry to evaluate performance annually.
1. Expert in directing and conducting of various musical groups (choirs, orchestra, praise band, ensembles such as bell choirs).
2. Expert in reading music.
3. Expert in singing and vocal technique.
4. Expert in keyboard/piano.
5. Proficiency in the organ.
6. Proficiency in teaching music to children and adults.
7. Work with the Music and Worship Chair who is the liaison to Church Council to coordinate worship and activities. Work with organist/pianist, Youth Directors, Tech Leaders, and the Christian Education Chair to accomplish the job requirements listed below.
8. Coordinate calendar events with the church secretary, pastor, and other church staff.
9. Manage the music budget and music “designated giving” bank account. Report expenses to church office.
● Plan hymn selection and service music for all worship services including Sundays and mid-week worship in Lent.
● Direct adult, youth, and children’s vocal choirs. Direct hand bell and/or hand chime choirs for various ages.
● Coordinate the annual Christmas Program and Cantata, securing needed music, musicians, supplies, technology needs, physical and logistical needs, and promote and recruit singers to participate from the church and community.
● Plan at least one weekly special anthem utilizing Cedar Grove’s choirs, solo singers, or guest musicians.
● Provide musical opportunities for church musicians to actively participate in worship, such as the inclusion of band/string students, piano class students, and the development of a praise band made up of members of the church and community.
● Offer free lessons in the piano lab to children and adults in the church and community.
● Provide lessons/instruction to children for the children’s hand bell choir
● Provide Sunday school opener songs to grades K-6.
● Organize and direct Vacation Bible School music at the daily mass gathering open/close. Provide all necessary music support to individual classrooms the week of Vacation Bible School.
● Provide necessary music for Easter Saturday and the Back-to-School Blast.
Promise of Support:
Everything needed to accomplish this mission is present and ready for direction and creativity. The congregation loves all kinds of music and has many members that are talented singers and instrumentalists. A piano lab is equipped with several keyboards, a separate hand bells lab equipped with various bells, dedicated tables and an overhead projector. All necessary equipment/technology including a computer laptop dedicated solely for the music ministry. At least one paid pianist/organist will be available for church services and choir practices along with technology support leaders. Instruments and music can be purchased at your discretion, within the budget and music fund limits of the church.
Resumes can be submitted to:
Cedar Grove Lutheran Church
1220 Cedar Grove Road
Leesville SC 29070
Attention: Worship and Music Committee
zion lutheran church, lexington – facilities manager
Zion Lutheran Church is seeking a full time Facilities Manager. The Facilities Manager will provide general property care and maintenance for interior and exterior of all church facilities, landscaping, and cemetery. The person filling the position should understand the nature of Christian ministry and be willing to advance the ministry of the congregation by cooperating with members and staff, enabling them to carry out their calling to proclaim the gospel. The position of Facilities Manager is a ministry of the church, for and with the congregation.
For a full job description go to www.zionlexsc.com/facilitiesmanager.
Interested applicants are invited to send resume and cover letter to zionchurch@zionLexsc.com or Zion Lutheran Church, 226 Corley Mill Road, Lexington, SC 29072.
REDEEMER, COLUMBIA – PART-TIME PARISH SECRETARY
Help Wanted: Part-time Parish Secretary – Redeemer Lutheran Church in Columbia is searching for a part time Parish Secretary. This position performs general church office support, secretarial tasks and activities in support of the Pastor, staff, and congregation. Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, and Outlook), and willingness to learn church management software. Approximately 16 hours per week. Contact Pastor Gary Loadholdt at 803-772-5419.
ST. JAMES, REDBANK – PART-TIME ORGANIST/PIANIST
St. James Lutheran Church (Red Bank, SC) is seeking a part-time Organist/Pianist to lead our music on Sunday morning and for other services. We need someone who plays piano (ability to play organ is a plus) and can accompany our choir. The congregation has one Sunday service: 10:30 a.m., and weekly Adult Choir rehearsal (suspended during pandemic). Other services as needed (Christmas Eve, Advent and Lenten Wednesday evenings, Ash Wednesday, Maundy Thursday, Good Friday, funerals and weddings as needed) A pipe organ and a piano are in the sanctuary. Pianos in the choir room and fellowship hall.
Contact the congregation for details outlining qualifications, responsibilities, etc. A job description can be found on the congregation’s website (https://www.stjameslex.com/). Persons interested in applying should provide a complete resume and professional references. Send resume and references to St. James Lutheran Church at email@example.com. Church Office phone: (803) 359-2122 Address: 1358 S. Lake Drive, Lexington, SC 29073
SOUTH CAROLINA WOMEN OF THE ELCA – WEBSITE MANAGER
The South Carolina Women of the ELCA are looking for the next creative woman to manage their website. This is a volunteer position.
The website is a vital tool in communicating with and updating women across the state and demonstrating God’s plans in action.
Duties include receiving updates from the SC WELCA Board, posting The RIPPLE as well as other publications and forms as requested by the SC WELCA Board to the website for downloading, and working with the Treasurer for the SC WELCA Board to ensure all costs are covered.
Working knowledge of WIX website builder is preferred.
Questions and applications can be submitted to Kristin Snelgrove at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Get In Touch
This is Christ’s Church. There is a place for you here.
We are the church that shares a living, daring confidence in God’s grace. Liberated by our faith, we embrace you as a whole person–questions, complexities and all. Join us as we do God’s work in Christ’s name for the life of the world.
ELCA South Carolina Synod
1003 Richland Street
Columbia, SC 29201