Communities in the Heartland Conference hear about Recovery Center Project
By Barbara Ware
As a follow-up to an earlier orientation to Recovery Residence plans, Bethlehem Lutheran Church hosted a meeting May 19 for leaders and interested persons throughout the Heartland Conference and the community. Rachael Fulmer, representative for Lutheran Services Carolinas, as well as Pastor Art Hallman, chair of the task force, were available to share plans and answer questions. They also presented ways that congregations and agencies can work together to address the issues of alcohol and drug addiction and what congregations can do to help get this residence started for ten men.
Mike Todd, director of Freedom House in Greenville, was impressed and excited that churches were getting involved in helping these men become productive members in our communities. He also shared some of the struggles and challenges that face addicts. Some of the points discussed were the following:
- Residents are screened and will have gone through detox.
- Residents will attend meetings to provide avenues for personal growth and development to become productive members of society.
- Residents will have jobs and if they do not have a job, LSC will provide job training and placement during the day.
- LSC will provide transportation for those men gainfully employed.
- Their stay may be as short as several weeks for some or up to a year for others.
- These men will be supervised and will have a house manager who lives on site. Certified staff and case workers will work with the group.
- There will be random drug testing.
- They will work and pay fees to cover their costs.
Lutheran Services Carolinas has a former veteran residence in Greenwood that is available and is being considered for this program.
A short presentation was shared at the SC Synod Assembly in Spartanburg. Anyone interested in receiving more information may contact Pastor Hallman at 803-924-9011.
This is Christ’s Church. There is a place for you here.
We are the church that shares a living, daring confidence in God’s grace. Liberated by our faith, we embrace you as a whole person–questions, complexities and all. Join us as we do God’s work in Christ’s name for the life of the world.
ELCA South Carolina Synod
1003 Richland Street
Columbia, SC 29201